During recent years there have been buzz in SEO industry every now and then that Google rolled-out Panda update. What exactly it is? I will let you know everything related to Googles’ Panda update in this post.
Why Panda Came into Existence?
With growing web usage and competition for monetizing from web SEO professionals were taking measures to manipulate Google SERP, keeping webmasters guidelines aside. When Panda came into existence, web was full of content and most was not informative to user, the whole sole purpose of that content was to help websites rank.
With the help of automated tools SEO community was generating content and distributing it, giving wrong ranking signals to search giant. For stooping web spam Google gave birth to Panda.
What is Panda?
In terms of SEO Panda is not that cute bamboo eating black and white bear found in south central china, Panda is an update made by Google in their algorithm to fight with poor quality/thin, spinned and copied/duplicate content over web.
The Panda update was first released in February 2011 to check sites using techniques like content farm and others to rank high over SERP. This change in algoritm affected approx 12% of total US web queries.
From 2011 till October 2014 Google has rolled their Panda algorithm 27 times. Here is the history of Panda roll-outs.
- Panda update 1 (1.0): 2011-Feb-24
- Panda update 2 (2.0): 2011-Apr-11
- Panda update 3: 2011-May-10
- Panda update 4: 2011-Jun-16
- Panda update 5: 2011-Jul-23
- Panda update 6: 2011-Aug-12
- Panda update 7: 2011-Sep-28
- Panda update 8 (3.0): 2011-Oct-19
- Panda update 9: 2011-Nov-18
- Panda update 10: 2012-Jan-18
- Panda update 11: 2012-Feb-27
- Panda update 12: 2012-Mar-23
- Panda update 13: 2012-Apr-19
- Panda update 14: 2012-Apr-27
- Panda update 15: 2012-Jun-9
- Panda update 16: 2012-Jun-25
- Panda update 17: 2012-Jul-24
- Panda update 18: 2012-Aug-20
- Panda update 19: 2012-Sep-18
- Panda update 20: 2012-Sep-27
- Panda update 21: 2012-Nov-5
- Panda update 22: 2012-Nov-21
- Panda update 23: 2012-Dec-21
- Panda update 24: 2013-Jan-22
- Panda update 25: 2013-Mar-15
- Panda update 26 (4.0): 2014-May-20
- Panda update 27 (4.1): 2014-Sep-25
The update were released nearly every month during the year 2011 and 2012, while in 2013 and 2014 it rolled only twice in year.
Panda refresh rate slowed down. It doesn’t mean that spammers have better chance of survival, but if penelized for content it will take more time to recover, as if you are penalized you do not only need to clean up your content, but you have to wait for net update to roll.
You all know the prevention, just keep it clean and you will never get penalized.